Sunday, December 27, 2009

What have I been up to lately?

You might all be wondering why my blog posts have been a little sparse lately. Well, business has been a little bit slow, but that's pretty normal for this time of year. So, I decided to start another company. For those of you who know me well, you are thinking to yourself, "What on earth is she thinking? She's already crazy busy with her business." Well, I've been wanting to work with one of my student/instructors for a long time and I couldn't figure out how we could work together because she lives on the East Coast and I live on the West Coast. Myrna's company is called Petal Chic. She asked if I could help her create her look for her website, blog, Etsy, etc. Myrna has become my long distance BFF (LDBFF). She and I have become so close that she's become like family to me.I have many talented students/instructors, but Myrna and I are like two peas in a pod when it comes to clay, it's an obsession and we have to touch it almost every day. She had created these cute penguin votives for Christmas and they were so cute that I had to buy one.
The back story is that Myrna when she first came to take class HATED figurines, they actually creeped her out. Yet when she went back home she started making cute angels. I too don't necessarily care for figurines. At any rate, I ordered the votives for my son's teachers for Christmas and then decided that I would try my hand at making Santa Penguins for his classmates. They were actually kind of fun. Go figure that she and I would like to make figurines when we protested how so not fun they were. So I asked a dear friend, Lea McIntosh, to help us find a name that suits us and defines what we do, and she came up with "gofigurette!" Go figure (that we like to make figurines and find them fun) and "ette" comes from coquette meaning cute. I instantly fell in love with the name and then created the logo based on what she started me off with. She suggested adding a cherry blossom and so I replaced the "o" with the cherry blossom and put 2 birds on the ends which represents two of us and one on each coast!
We've been having fun the last few days trying to come up with cute figurines. It's totally addicting and we feed off each other's creativity. It's been a creative outlet for me and I enjoy the departure from always doing weddings. Granted I will still continue to do weddings, but I'm diversifying my reach with the clay. So our focus is handcrafted clay figurines for cakes, cupcakes and decor. These figurines can be used as cupcake toppers and then if you add a little hook pin and ribbon with a favor bag you get a gift for your guests to take home. Baby showers, bridal showers, kid's parties. The possibilities are endless. So in the coming weeks we will be adding items and doing our grand opening. For now we're updating our items via our blog! I'm so happy to finally be able to work with someone I respect and trust! More importantly it's been fun to collaborate with someone as equally as crazy about clay as I am!
You can visit us at:
Etsy site:
www.gofigurette.etsy.com
Blog:
www.gofigurette.blogspot.com
Twitter:
www.twitter.com/gofigurette

1 comment:

marie christine said...

Sweet, sweet, sweet, now want to see more !
Happy new year to Gofigurette !