Monday, March 30, 2009

Help Save a Life...

My dear friend and colleague, Stacie Tamaki aka "The Flirty Girl" needs our help. A couple of months ago her closest cousin, Tami, became very ill and after weeks of tests, low blood cell counts, dangerously high fever and low blood pressure levels, they finally figured out that she has Myelodysplastic Syndrome or MDS is a disease of the bone marrow very similar to acute leukemia. It causes the bone marrow to produce blood cells and platelets that are either abnormal or underdeveloped. She is the mother of 2 young children and desperately needs our help, so she can be a loving and healthy mother to her precious children.
Stacie has developed a website www.helpingtami.org and is asking all those of Asian ethnicity to get tested to see if you could be a possible bone marrow donor. It's easy and to those who are a minority, the home test is free. No blood, just 4 simple swabs to return by mail. I applied and my kit came rather quickly, which is my intent to do it this week and get it turned in.

My mother passed away of breast cancer and I have other relatives who have had strokes and if I could have done something for them to help them be well, I would have. I told my husband that if we were in Tami's situation, we'd want someone to do the same for us. So, get tested and help save a life! So click on the above logo or visit www.helpingtami.org to find out how you can apply for an "at home" test kit to see if you could be a possible match. It's free for minorities and Caucasians can get the home test kit for a minimal fee.

No comments: